Make your own free website on Tripod.com

The Delta Phi Chapter of Kappa Delta

Home
Announcements
Welcome
KD Fast Facts
History
Council
National KD
Exclusively KDs
Alumnae
Philanthropies
Social Events
Contact Us
Pictures
Return to GSW

Philanthropies

Girl Scouts of America

For over 100 Years, Kappa Delta has encouraged women, college age and beyond to be their best selves...caring individuals, concerned citizens and community leaders.  For almost as long, Girl Scouts has fostered the same ideals in younger girls.  Together we are preparing girls for college, for life, for all they hope to become.

Prevent Child Abuse

Since 1981, all collegiate chapters and many alumnae associations participate in Kappa Delta's Shamrock Event held annually in March. The groups choose their own fund-raising activities, and 80 percent of the total is donated to local child abuse prevention agencies with the other 20 percent donated to PCA America.
Our chapter hosts the Little Miss Americus Pageant.  We have refreshments, entertainment, and a silent auction.  This is a great way to get the community involved and the little girls who enter get to spend time with the KD's at rehearsal.  The winner receives a crown, flowers and a savings bond and gets to ride in parades with the Delta Phi Chapter at local events.

Orthopedic Research Award

Three awards of $20,000 are given annually to recognize outstanding research in orthopaedics and to enable researchers to continue their efforts. First presented in 1950, the awards have grown in stature to become known as the Nobel Prize of Orthopaedic Research, and one of the most coveted awards in this field. To date over 1.1 million dollars in awards have been given.

childhospital.gif

In 1921, Kappa Delta made a commitment to support a 2-bed, fledgling clinic operated by William Tate Graham, M.D. He was renowned for his revolutionary approaches. A pioneer in treating polio victims, he never turned any patient away for inability to pay. Now Children's Hospital treats all children's problems and still turns away no one for financial reasons. Kappa Delta's support continues--donating funds which have gone to build an operating room, develop a clinic, and buy a van to transport patients. The sorority is a primary sustaining supporter of the hospital and Kappa Deltas serve on its governing boards.